Small businesses have big needs – and one of the biggest areas of concern is payment processing. From restaurants to food trucks, yoga studios to car detailers, small businesses need credit card processing machines that are affordable, easy to use, customer-friendly, and provide accounting and financial support to help keep the business running.
Westmoreland Payment Services specializes in matching the right credit card processing devices to small businesses. We work with businesses to understand their specific needs, their customers’ needs, and their processes and budget to find the POS system best suited for their work.
Where and How Do You Use Your Credit Card Reader?
Before you can determine the best credit card reader for your business, you need to clarify what your business needs. One main issue is space and mobility: will your POS system be mounted on a countertop, or does it need to be wireless and mobile? Most retail stores prefer a countertop system, while food trucks, restaurants and pop-up shops often prefer to be mobile. Figuring out how you’ll set up the POS system in advance is the first major decision in knowing how to choose a credit card reader.
Features of Credit Card Readers
Your next decision for choosing a credit card reader is to consider all that you need it to do. Do you need a wireless system, or can it be wired? Additionally, will your system be able to remain plugged in, or do you need a battery option? Most readers now accept EMV chip cards, an important feature for fraud prevention. But will you want to offer a loyalty program or gift cards? If so, ensure your reader can also accept magstripes and gift cards. Are you in a business that works with NFCs? Not all credit card readers can accept them, so this is a key feature you’ll want to prioritize.
Take time to think through the features you need in a system to help find the best match for your business.
Best Countertop Credit Card Readers
If your business has the space and configuration for a countertop credit card reader, then here are our top recommendations for countertop POS systems.
- Ingenico iCT220 – The Ingenico iCT220 has everything you need to process payments, including a PIN pad, keypad, and receipt printer. The compact design takes up minimal counter space and is easy to use. Just connect it to a landline, telephone line or a direct internet connection and you’re ready to go.
- Verifone VX 520 – Trusted by millions of merchants, the VX 520 enables small businesses to accept all payment types, including EMV chip cards, magstripe cards, and NFC payments. The slim design takes minimal counter space, features a receipt printer with a large payment roll, and fast processing speeds due to a powerful processor and expandable memory. The VX 520 also accepts value-added payments such as gift and loyalty cards.
Ready to see if these credit card readers will work for your business? Request a free demo today.
Best Wireless Credit Card Readers
If your small business needs a great wireless credit card reader, WPS recommends several options in multiple price points to meet your exact business needs.
- FirstPay Mobile with Ingenico iWL255 - This is a compact, wireless device for optimal mobility. It accepts EMV chip and PIN, magstripe and NFC/contactless payments. The Ingenico has a long battery life—it can run the entire day in high-paced environments. This certified device meets the highest security requirements, and includes a fast printer for checkout efficiency.
- FirstPay Mobile with Moby 3000 - This wireless credit card processor connects to a cell phone or tablet, making it an ideal option for very small businesses like food trucks. This device offers one of the least expensive ways for a business to accept credit cards.
- Dejavoo - The Z9 model of this is wireless, and looks sleek and stylish with a large screen. It sits on a swivel, making it easy for clients to use, and features a privacy fence. The Dejavoo Z9 is ideal for monitoring sales and easily accepts multiple payment methods, making it a good choice for busy retail locations.
- SimpleSwipe Terminal (PAX A920) - This wireless reader can be connected to cellular, and sits on a docking station with a printer for businesses that need a full set up. This terminal does it all: inventory tracking, analytics, accounting and reporting, making it a great choice when you want to get everything started and done in one device.
- Payment Jack Mobile Card Reader - This reader connects directly to your own smartphone or tablet, and includes free payment processing software. It’s a simple, inexpensive way to accept credit cards with a wifi connection.
More information about each of these devices can be found in our overview of Wireless Mobile Credit Card Readers.
We understand that choosing the best credit card machine for your business can feel overwhelming. That’s why our experts get to know your company and make recommendations best suited to your needs and budget. Need help choosing which of these credit card readers will work best for your business?